The Top Five is a brand-new feature where we ask your favorite artists to create a list of five things revolving around anything that comes to their mind. Whethers its their five favorite Sega Genesis games or their five most cherished pieces of tupperware, its all for them to decide and for you to read.
Eleanor Friedberger takes part in our latest installment as she supports her highly revealing sophomore LP, Personal Record, out now via Merge Records. The 12-track LP was recorded in October 2012 in New York and Los Angeles and written alongside writer and musician Wesley Stace. Later this fall, she’ll hit the road alongside The Decemberists’ Colin Meloy.
Top Five Concerts/Performances/Happenings I Attended in the Past Five Months:
01. GOAT – Music Hall of Williamsburg, April 23th
02. Here Lies Love – Public Theater, April 16th
03. Mark Morris Dance Group – Mark Morris Dance Center, April 13th
04. Where’s Anton* – Wythe Hotel screening room, March 6th
05. Chloe Sevigny for Opening Ceremony Fall/Winter 2013 presentation** – St. Mark’s Church In-The-Bowery, February 9th***
* = A film about Gun Outfit by Joe DeNardo
** = A lot of ladies played rock music
*** = Also the day two of my friends had babies
Top Five Records I Bought for Less Than $5 *
Led Zeppelin I
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin IV
Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy
* = I paid 99 cents a piece at Second Hand Tunes in Oak Park, IL
Top Five Records* I Wish I Had, But Don’t, Because They Cost Quite a Bit More Than $5
Jorge Ben – A Tabua de Esmeralda
Duncan Browne – Give Me Take You
Duncan Browne – Duncan Browne
John Cale – Fear
The Moles – Instinct
* = By records, I mean used LPs.
Top Five Songs I’ve Heard in the Past Five Days
Lux Perpetua – “For Whom the Stone Rolls”*
Ivor Cutler – “The Wooden Tree”
Slapp Happy – “Dawn”
Bee Gees – “Nights on Broadway”
Gilbert O’Sullivan – “Get Down”
* = I played this one about 5 x 10 times in the past five days.
Top Five Bands with Five People *
The Rolling Stones
Guns N’ Roses
* = I would have liked to have included my own new touring band, but I thought that might be tacky.